Labels

Monday, August 29, 2011

un cycliste

The past 10 months I have switched gears and set aside my competitive side.  I say competitive, but my love for running and races is really a competition I have with myself.  Ever since last year's marathon, I haven't been running much and I haven't trained for any races.  Am I being lazy, you might ask?  I guess that is a small part of the reason but the main reason was that I have been trying to find balance.

 
Training, fundraising, and racing with Team in Training to benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society was amazing and I loved every every moment of it.  I was able to complete 3 full marathons with the group. But...it required a lot of my time, attention, and energy.  Last Novemeber I promised Kurt I would give him a break and focus on our family and it has been exactly what all of us needed.  There hasn't been a day that I haven't missed it...the discipline in commiting to a physically challenging endeavor, the comraderie and teamwork, and the joy that comes from helping others. 


Kurt and I have talked about how nice it would be to find a recreational activity that we both enjoyed that we could do together.  I took up golf this Valentine's Day or should I say, took up hitting balls at the driving range and that has been fun.  But I have to be honest, as much as golf requires talent, it doesn't bring on a calorie burn and endorphin surge and once you're used to that, it's hard to go without.  A new sport that we have taken up is cycling.  Although it has been in the back of my mind for a long time, buying bikes was Kurt's idea.  I actually have few friends who are avid cyclists, some of which could probably be considered pros.  I met them through an organization I became involved in this year called Team4Mil whose mission is to raise awareness and funds for Wounded Warriors while training for and completing the Race Across America.  Check out their website at http://www.team4mil.org/.  They are an amazing group and have been an inspiration to me.


So...with a little help...actually a lot of help and with a good deal, the two of us bought our own bikes.  Contrary to the sport of running which does not require too many accessories, cycling can be quite complicated.  The helmet is only the beginning.  You have to have padded shorts, a reflective light, water bottle cage, an air pump, an extra tube and CO2 cartridge in case of a flat, and if you jump in with both feet like us, special cleated shoes to go with the fancy pedals.  Bella is still trying to convince me that a bell would make things complete. We have no choice now but to take this seriously. 



When it comes to exercise, I do better with a partner.  The plan is for Kurt and I to go together but there's only 3 little roadblocks who I affectionately refer to as Huntie, Bella Boo, and Eth Monster.  Sure they have bikes but bless Ethan's heart because his training wheels can only go around so fast.  It's just gonna take some coordination. After a quick comment on facebook, I was able to connect with an old friend who has been looking for a new cycling partner.  See Kurt...something good can actually come from Facebook.  Within a day, Brandi and I had planned to meet bright and early for a bike ride together.  What a nice surprise!  I have a new partner and she rides faster than me too.

After 2 rides, (yesterday's was about 20 miles), I can say that I am hooked.  I've mastered clipping into my right cleat and have only fallen once, but it was the most graceful fall you have ever seen.  Riding a bike with these pedals actually takes concentration.  If you're going to fall, you better snap out of your pedals.  After about 15 years riding nothing but a stationary cycling bike, I don't think I am doing too shabby.  I am a quick learner and don't give up easily.  Lance Armstrong watch out!  I have a new project!!

No comments:

Post a Comment