Labels

Monday, October 17, 2011

Attitude is Everything

     “Attitude is everything.” How often do we hear and say these words?  I find myself thinking and saying this when something doesn’t go quite as I had planned and a little disappointment sets in.  As much as this is a cliché, it is true but how many times have we thought that our lives are just so unfair and we become pessimistic?  C’mon, admit it.  You have at some point.  The past several weeks I have been working exclusively as a clinical dietitian the Army hospital.  It has actually been a nice change of pace and even more so, an eye opener and reminder that “Attitude is everything.”
     I have had the blessing to meet and provide medical nutrition therapy for many Wounded Warriors who have been transported to Brooke Army Medical Center from the war zone so that their injuries and rehabilitation can be managed.  Some of the men have been 19 and 20 years old with double and triple amputations along with a huge laundry list of other injuries.   I have to fight back tears every time.  Each soldier is someone’s baby and often times, someone’s husband and someone’s father.  The amount of growing up these men have had to do in such a short time and the thought of their long journeys ahead leave me speechless. In spite of their injuries, most of them remain positive about their future.  Their positive attitudes should be an example for the rest of us.
     Last year I became involved in a military cycling organization called Team 4Mil through a friend and fellow AF dietitian.  Some of you may recall me talking about it and how their mission is to compete in the Race Across America and support the Wounded Warrior Project.  One of the ways that Team 4mil does that is by helping them rehabilitate with the use of adaptive cycles.  This mission is amazing to me!  It couples the exhilaration of a competitive sport and the joy that comes from helping others.  If you'd like to learn more or support Team 4Mil financially, you can visit http://www.team4mil.org/.
     This past weekend, I had the absolute pleasure of meeting a retired solider and wounded warrior named Nieves Rodriguez.  This year it is Team 4Mil’s plan to add a second relay team made up of wounded warrior cyclists and Nieves is on the team.  He was in Iraq during his second deployment when the truck he was driving in flipped over.  The impact left his right arm nearly severed to the point of traumatic amputation.  If it were not for an Air Force surgeon who argued that his arm could be saved, his life would be much different than it is today.  He had a long recovery and could have given up many times along the way but his attitude prevailed.  Today Nieves has full use of his arm and is an excellent cyclist. 
     Long story short, Nieves and my paths crossed when he was asked to represent Team 4Mil at Lance Armstrong’s Ride for the Roses event in Austin which draws support for the Livestrong Foundation and fight against cancer.  I was lucky enough to be Nieves’s guest at the VIP events which included a tour of the Foundation, an amazing dinner party at Lance Armstrong’s house, and a one of a kind bike race which for us equaled 90 miles!  This was a weekend that I will never forget!
     I haven’t been riding for that long- 3 months actually but it’s been long enough for me to know in my heart that I’ll be riding for a long time to come.  And the nice thing is, Kurt has adopted this past-time as well so it’s something we look forward to doing together.  This race was definitely a challenge- the distance, the hills, and of course the nuances of riding with a big group- it's different than marathons but those of you who know me, know when I set my mind on something, you might as well consider it done.  
Phil 4:13 “I can do anything through Christ who strengthens me”
     This verse has gotten through each of my endurance events and a lot of life’s obstacles in between.  I think when you have this attitude, the sky is the limit.
Post race giddiness

Mile 50
    
My first race.  I did it!! I finished!!

1 comment:

  1. Risa what a story! I'm so proud of you that you did that race! How awesome! And you are right, whenever you put your mind to something, you do it! Good for you! :) XO

    ReplyDelete