Labels

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Back in the saddle and holding on for dear life

Well, here I am...62 days into my 179 day (or so) deployment. I had wonderful intentions to chronologically and systematically capture all the highlights in my blog because after all, that is how I tend to be- a perfectionist at heart. But as you can see, that has not happened. I can blame it on a number of factors, many of which have been out of my control, but the biggest reason is that I have had a challenging enough time making sense of my feelings and emotions in my head without putting them in writing.

Before I dive into the details, I feel it's important to point out (perhaps again, for those of you who go way back to the early days of my blog) why I am here in Afghanistan. The obvious reason is to serve my country and fulfill my military duty but the more obvious reason in my eyes is that I am answering a calling from God. This point has a definite place in my story. You see, up until about 3 years ago when God began whispering in my ear that he had business for me out here, I was deathly afraid of the "D" word, Deployments to me were translated to "fear", "heartache", "uncertainty", and "danger" in my world and these were emotions that I didn't want to touch with a 10 foot pole. The fact that I raised my hand to actually volunteer at this point in time was a big step in my journey of life as well as my husband Kurt's. I have always been grateful for his support of my military career. Putting my name in the hat meant that while I may still encounter "fear" in my life, I was no longer going to let it control me or stop me from doing what I felt was right or the will of God.

So here I am. How did I actually get to this place? Not geographically speaking but spiritually? I can't tell you for sure but I do know it wasn't a smooth but rocky road and it was definitely not by accident! I have so much to share on my journey thus far. I hope you will get in the saddle along side of me and get ready to hear all about it!

Those of you who know me well, know I like inspirational quotes. I am always looking for special meaning and how I can embrace it in my life. At this time I am really missing a lot back home...among the things, is my church and pastor, Max Lucado. He has a simple but powerful quote that I think can change all of us if we really let it and that is:

"Meet your fears with faith"

No comments:

Post a Comment