Labels

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Helllllo. Are you listening???


I have wondered for some time who is responsible for putting up the huge billboards around town that read “THINK GOD.”  They have a white background and the letters are in black bolded letters that are all caps.  The first time I spotted one was about a year ago about a mile from my home.  It had been placed in the most inconspicuous spot near a Walgreens Store and a couple other billboards that apparently left no impression on me because I don’t remember what they advertised.  But this one has made me stop and think for a moment each time my eyes have focused on it.
Last week at work was more challenging than most.  My job was requiring me to do something I really didn’t want to do.  It felt like I was trudging through mud that was up to my knees…I would have much rather gone back to bed or sit in traffic all day for that matter.  My outlook took a 180 degree turn when I parked my car in a place that I had a perfect view of this “THINK GOD” billboard.  Talk about a wake up call.  Some may have not even noticed or maybe called it coincidence but to me, it was God’s very clear way of saying “Leave it to me and think positive…things are going to work out.”  Suddenly I was able to put my less desirable circumstances into perspective…I have 2 perfectly good legs to walk and run on.  I have a roof over my head and a beautiful family to come home to.  I could go on and on counting my blessings.  Most importantly, I have a God that loves me so much that although he may allow me to stumble and fall, He will always be there to pick me back up again.
I’ve come to finally embrace in my “middle age” (as my kids like to put it) that there is positive energy in positive thinking and negative energy in pessimistic thoughts.  It’s a philosophy that takes frequent re-direction when my “old self” tells me “that’s not fair!” or “how can this happen to me?” So many of us dismiss the many circumstances in our lives as being “out of our control.”  I’ve been there all too many times.  I’ve been guilty of leaving my happiness in the hands of others  when ultimately it’s mine to choose in how I respond.
Sometimes all it takes is a subtle or not so subtle reminder to “THINK GOD” to turn a dreary day into a bright one.
You know you're a finatic when you can reach under your seat and grab a camera at any given time.

1 comment:

  1. I have always loved to hear you talk and write so it will be a pleasure to read your blog! I miss you dear friend and hope our paths cross in person sooner than later. Love you! Amy Morel L'Horset

    ReplyDelete