Labels

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I just have to tell you

The past few days I've been thinking about a catchy name for my most recent project, a blog site. But before I go into how it actually got named, let me take a step back. Those who know me, know that I am one BUSY girl, wife, mom, and Air Force officer. In fact, it's not too often that I don't have a "project" in progress. If I don't, it's because I am in transition, and a new one is right around the corner. What's behind all the projects, you may ask? That's a good question and likely the topic of a future post but for now, it is what it is.


What prompted me to take the plunge with my own blog site was notice that I will be deploying to Afghanistan for 6 months. From what I have heard from others who have been deployed, it's an intense experience but there is good amount of down time. Hmmm, how exactly am I going to stay busy? There's only so much exercising a girl can do. I know...I can keep a blog of my life over the next several months to capture the experience and all the emotion that goes with it.



Why blog as opposed to something else? I have always loved writing ever since I could remember. That, and photography. I was the girl the other kids would cringe from when they spotted me at high school gatherings because I always had my camera out. Of course, things have changed a bit as I have had to re-prioritize my time with a husband, career, and not 1 or 2 but 3 kids but my love for capturing memories, feelings, and life in the way of words and images is still a big part of who I am.


Ok, back to the naming of this site. I have been self reflecting recently and examining what I hope my blog site will represent or convey to others (that is, if anyone chooses to read it). I came up with the following themes:


Discovery-
At 37 years of age, I can finally say that I am coming up with a more accurate snapshot of who I am...the good, the bad, and the ugly...and boy, it is different than the view I had a few short years ago. I want this site to be a place of sharing my discoveries about everything, both big and small, with others who can relate.


Take time to smell the flowers-
I can't think of a better way to describe this hope of mine at the present moment. My kids are 9, 8, and 5. Already. It just seems like in a few blinks of my eyes, they are on the doorstep to being mini adults with their own distinct views, hopes, and dreams. I just LOVE seeing them bloom into the flowers that they are. I really need to stop and slow down if I am going to cherish these days while on my rocker...My memory is not that great as it is an I can definitely relate to the saying "the days are long but the years are short."


Faith, Hope, and Love-
I don't care what they say, life is not a bowl of cherries. However, I do agree with "when it rains, it pours" and boy, has it poured this past year. After a few months of feeling like I was barely treading water, I am now comfortably floating on my back and enjoying the view. Sometimes all you can do is have faith, hope for a brighter tomorrow, and love those who love you back.


Yesterday I was on my computer and heard Bella say more than a couple times from the other room, "I just have to tell you!" She can be a dramatic girl so each repetition sounded like an audition for a commerical with a different emphasis each time. Finally it caught my attention and I asked her where she heard that line. Her response "The So Random show." The So Random show? It didn't matter. Just then I knew it was going to be the name of my new blog site...

1 comment: