Labels

Sunday, July 31, 2011

What will we pass on?

     This summer has been filled with several “firsts” including a first trip to camp for my oldest, Hunter.   I learned about the 6 day camp titled “Learning to Lead” at Abilene Christian University (ACU) from my good friend Amy.  Amy attended ACU and her son Anson, who is on of Hunter's best friends, was going.  Hunter and Anson are very entertaining to watch. Laughter and silliness abounds whenever they are together.  Aside from over-night sleep-overs at my parents’ and a few friends’ houses, Hunter had not experienced being away from home for more than a couple days.  We talked it up all summer and he didn’t know quite what to expect but he was all for it.
    This Christian camp came at a great time for Hunter.  Over the past few months we have noticed that he has been more curious about God and his understanding of our faith has been maturing.  It has warmed my heart especially to know that he is finding comfort in knowing that he is part of God’s bigger plan and is special just as he is.
     My Hunter will be a decade old in October of this year.  If I sit and reminese too long of all that is behind us, it makes me sad.  Where has time gone?  This sort of thinking elicits questions I ask of myself like “Am I being the best mom I can be?” and “Am I doing all I can so that he feels loved just the way he is?” The biggest question I have is “Are Kurt and I bringing God into our home and family so that our kids are constantly growing in his faith?”

   While there are countless things, most of which are intangible, that we as parents hope to pass on to our kids, the most important on our list is FAITH.  It means different things to different people.  In short, to a Christian it means an acceptance of Jesus Christ as our Savior and a pursuit to live life by His Word. It's a peace that comes from knowing that all will be ok in the end and if it isn't ok, it isn't the end.  It doesn’t mean being perfect citizens, husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, friends, and co-workers.  This fact is a really good thing for us because we are far from perfect and have made a plenty of mistakes along the way.  However, picking up Hunter from camp and hearing of his experience on the way home and during the following days brought an assurance that helped answer my lingering question of Hunter’s faith.  Right now I feel like yes, we are doing something right!
     Amy and I drove about 4 hours to Abilene to pick up the boys.  Aside from a short letter I was happy to receive in the mail that week, I hadn’t heard a word from Hunter.  That was a difficult thing and it surprised me more than I expected.  When our eyes met in the big room filled with anxious parents, I could see the joy, pride, and tender love in his big brown eyes.  He was genuinely glad I was there to share the end of this experience with him. 
     On the way home Amy and I took turns asking the boys about their activities.  Hunter was particularly touched by a letter that his group leader wrote to him.  “My name means ‘to hunt’ but not in a bad way,” Hunter exclaimed.  He made sure to tell me that his leader had tears in her eyes when she read the personal letter to him.  When I asked him what was his favorite part about camp, his reply was “Worshipping God.”  That response, to me, was priceless.

I've started a box for Hunter's camp memorabilia.  This one is a keeper.


I have a feeling this will be just one of many fond childhood memories for Hunter.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment